Applique sailboat, blue dress
The dress is for the girl of 3 years old, approx. 105 m/41.3in tall, the length of the dress (from the shoulder/collar) is 62 cm/24.4in.
1. Cotton T-shirt
2. Cotton fabric (46 cm*110 cm/17.7in*43.3in)
3. Yarn: in my case, white thin for crochet hook 1/1.5 mm (I used Artiste 100% mercerized Egyptian cotton, crochet hook 1.5 mm/7), white and blue yarn (I used Phildar cotton 3 for crochet hook 2.5/3 mm/2/C)
4. Pins, sewing needle
5. Crochet hooks 1.3 mm/8 and 1 mm/10
6. Iron-on bonding fabric/fusible web, size 8x8 cm (3.1x31in)
This pattern is made for those, who knows sewing, crocheting.
This pattern is written in American terms:
ch – chain stitch
sl st – slip stitch
sc – single crochet
inc – increase
Boat. Use blue yarn.
Row 1: 10 ch st (10)
Row 2: 9 sc (9)
Row 3: 1 ch st, 1 inc, 7 sc, 1 inc (11, we don’t count ch st)
Row 4: 11 sc (11, ch st we don’t crochet)
Row 5: 1 ch st, 1 inc, 9 sc, 1 inc (13, we never count ch st at the beginning of row)
Cut blue yarn
Take white yarn and continue crochet around the boat:
RD 6: 1 inc, 2 sc, 1 inc, 7 sc, 1 inc, 4 sc, 2 inc, 10 sc, 1 inc, 1 sl st, cut yarn (36)
Sail. Use blue yarn
Row 1: 9 ch st (9)
Row 2: 8 sc (8)
Row 3: 1 ch st, 8 sc (8, we never count ch st)
Row 4: 1 ch st, 1 sc to the second st, 6 sc (7)
Row 5: 1 ch st, 1 sc to the second st, 5 sc (6)
Row 6: 1 ch st, 1 sc to the second st, 4 sc (5)
Row 7: 1 ch st, 1 sc to the second st, 3 sc (4)
Row 8: 1 ch st, 1 sc to the second st, 2 sc (3)
Row 9: 1 ch st, 1 sc to the second st, 1 sc (7)
Row 10: 1 ch st, 1 sl sc (1), cut blue yarn, hide thread behind the sail.
Take white yarn and crochet around the sail (2 sides only):
10 sc, 1 inc (3sc in 1 stitch), 9 sc, 1 sl st, cut yarn, hide thread
Flag. Use white thin yarn.
Row 1: 25 ch st (25)
Row 2: 5 sc (5)
Row 3: 1 ch st, 5 sc (5, we never count ch st)
Row 4: 1 ch st, 1 sc to the second st, 4 sc (4)
Row 5: 1 ch st, 1 sc to the second st, 3 sc (3)
Row 6: 1 ch st, 1 sc to the second st, 2 sc (2)
Row 7: 1 ch st, 1 sc to the second st, 1 sc (1)
Row 8: 1sl st, pull up the stitch, cut the yarn.
Take the same white thin yarn and crochet around the flag (2 sides only):
6 sc, 1 inc (3sc in 1 stitch), 5 sc, 1 sl st, cut yarn, hide thread
When all the details are ready, we assembly them together. Sew details of boat together.
We take t-shirt and cut it:
- if you don’t have overstitching machine/zigzagger, we cut 24 cm/9.4in from shoulder/collar: 20 cm it will be our part for dress and 4 cm we take for seam;
- if you have overstitching machine/zigzagger, 21 cm/8.2in from shoulder/collar: 20 cm it will be our part for dress and 1 cm we take for seam.
Skirt. Cotton fabric (46 cm*110 cm/17.7in*43.3in)
- Sew the sides of rectangle for skirt of dress together, the seam will be on the back of the dress.
- Make the folds of the dress with white thread, 1 cm from edge of fabric. You can do by needle and after by sewing machine or you can do folds directly by sewing machine but in this case, pull thread of one side very carefully, because you can break it.
The width of the skirt belt (side where we have made folds) must be the same as width of the t-shirt, in my case it’s 29 cm/11.4in for both.
- After that we sew skirt to t-shirt on the left side (inside part of t-shirt and dress). I don’t have overstitching machine so I have bended the 4 cm of t-shirt in two times with skirt edge inside (1.5 cm). Now we do 2 seams for better fixation.
- At the end, we make the length of skirt, try it on your child first, and you choose the length you want to do, my dress is 62 cm/24.4in, I have bended 2.5 cm.
- Iron all the seams.
- Cut iron-on bonding fabric/fusible web as the shape of your boat, put on your dress first iron-on bonding boat, after on it you put crocheted sailboat and iron them together. Iron all the dress.
That’s all. This lovely dress with sailboat applique is ready!
Please do not reproduce, distribute, translate, sell, or change the pattern and images in any way. It's prohibited. However, feel free to sell the finished products/toys, please add the following lines to your item description and any item you are selling: "Pattern by LaCigogne - https://www.etsy.com/shop/LaCigogne". Please message or email me with any questions regarding your purchase, downloading, or the pattern itself: firstname.lastname@example.org